Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Write Often

How do you write a blog or a book?  

Write often.

Does it matter that another blogger is more successful than you? Do you have to do and say everything that the majority of other bloggers or authors say? Do you have to take pictures of every subject you blog about for someone else to read? 

The answers are no, no, and no. If you have writer's block and you feel that your writing and blogging are inferior to others with more experience, then you need to just sit down and write. Blog. Write a page, a chapter, a sentence. Just write. The world would be a boring place if every writer wrote the same thing, showed the same photos, gave the exact how-to-blog-directions or how-to-write-a-book directions. So write how you write. Write down the things that interest you. Take photos of what inspires you. Share those things you write and take photos of on your blog. Photos do help others see what you're writing or blogging about, but the bottom line is to write and keep writing.

Often, we allow hindrances to keep us from our goals and desires. I have learned that if I write down goals and desires, I will begin to believe that those things will happen. The more I write about them, the more I believe in them. The more that I write toward those goals and desires, doors begin to open. When I talk about those desires and goals, people learn of my interests. Then when they hear of opportunities that I might not hear about in my own environment, they inform me. That is social networking.


Writing is therapeutic. We write to inspire. We write to be inspired. When my mother died, I planted a garden. I didn't know much about how to. I just did it. Not everything I planted grew, but some things did. My yellow summer squash grew. That was the most important thing I planted. It was a comfort food for me because Mother always grew squash in her garden. She would cook it and freeze most of it. When she knew I would be coming home for a visit, she took some squash out just for me. I wrote about that squash and my memories of Mother and cried a lot of tears in that garden while sitting on a little white bench beside a Joshua tree. Writing about the wonder of nature all around me became a solace. I had never made cactus pear jelly until then. There was a cactus plant just outside my little garden. I had fun learning how to take the pears off of the plant and making the jelly. It was fun, the jelly was good, and it was therapeutic for that grieving time of my life.
My little comfort garden area

Cacti near my garden






No comments:

Post a Comment